Controlling your Legacy. Why is it important?
Having a plan in place for your estate is an integral part of any good financial plan. The best way to ensure your wishes are carried out after your death is having a legal up-to-date will. Without careful planning, your estate could be tied up in the courts for months or even years and the government could end up collecting more taxes than is necessary.
When dealing with something as important as your estate, you don’t want to leave anything open to interpretation especially around how your estate will be divided up between family members.
To take control of your estate, we suggest the following five steps:
- Determine your estate planning goals.
- Consider which estate planning tools fit your situation best.
- Choose the people you would like to speak for you.
- Start raising estate-planning issues with your family.
- Keep your estate plan up to date.
Our recommendations will help you maximize your estate’s value, while ensuring your beneficiaries will receive everything you’ve planned for them.